07 December 2013Black badger peas
We've had a Twitter request for the recipe for our black badger peas with smoked tofu and kale. It was based loosely on a recipe from Hodmedod's website (http://www.hodmedods.co.uk), and adapted to be suitable for vegetarians and vegans.
Sorry I haven't given precise quantities here - just judge it by eye and hunger levels!
Half block Engine Shed smoked tofu
Bundle of kale leaves (any type of kale, e.g. curly, cavolo nero, Russian red); washed, removed from tough stalks then shredded
Black badger peas, soaked overnight, then cooked according to packet instructions
Onion and garlic
1. Cut the tofu into 2cm cubes; fry in a little olive oil until browned and beginning to crisp.
2. Thinly slice an onion and a large clove of garlic; fry gently in a little oil until softened; add a dash of white wine.
3. Sprinkle over a teaspoon of Marigold bouillon then add the shredded kale. The water from the kale leaves should generate enough steam to cook the kale, but if necessary add a little more water. Cover with a lid and cook gently until the kale is softened - a few minutes.
4. Add the cooked black badger peas and the smoked tofu; stir well; check for seasoning - add salt and pepper as required. Heat through.
5. Just before serving add a very small dash of toasted sesame oil (optional) then stir well.